This week’s khutbah is on a hadith of the Prophet SAWS in which 7 types of people are described as receiving shade from Allah SWT on the Day of Resurrection.
The hadith in question is translated to have said:
Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, “Seven people Allah will give them His Shade on the Day when there would be no shade but the Shade of His Throne (i.e., on the Day of Resurrection): And they are: a just ruler; a youth who grew up with the worship of Allah; a person whose heart is attached to the mosques, two men who love and meet each other and depart from each other for the sake of Allah; a man whom an extremely beautiful woman seduces (for illicit relation), but he (rejects this offer and) says: ‘I fear Allah’; a man who gives in charity and conceals it (to such an extent) that the left hand does not know what the right has given; and a man who remembers Allah in solitude and his eyes become tearful”.
Dear brothers and sisters, the remainder of this khutba will break down the explanation of the 7 types of people mentioned in this hadith and alongside it, will aim to provide a practical example that we can all implement so that we are of these people insh’Allah.
- A Just ruler, is one who looks after the interests of the Muslims, including Judges and ministers, etc, and to rule with fairness. For us, this can be applied in our everyday lives in business or studies, as a parent, as a middleman between friends that disagree or any situation where the ruling or judgement offered is logical and impartial and unbiased towards anyone.
- A youth who grew up with the worship of Allah – Allah SWT has mentioned youth specifically here, since the difficulties our youth face from desires and temptations are huge, and therefore resisting this and staying on the right path has extra rewards compared to those who are much older. A practical example here is to utilize the time you have as a youth for things you will find harder to do in later live. For example learn Quranic Arabic as a course here is starting later on this month.
- That in turn brings us to number 3 which is those whose heart is attached to the mosque. Whether it be coming here regularly to pray, make it an aim to increase either by another congregational prayer or aim to help the house of Allah SWT either by providing a service to it or through regularly funding its upkeep.
- This talks of the unity that we are blessed with in the Muslim community. And this is practically illustrated in this hadith by informing us of the importance of mercy towards one another. We live in a time where family ties are strained and social media is the new family. Fight that urge and show compassion to one another for the sake of Allah SWT.
- Fifth describes a man who is tempted by the woman but chooses Allah SWT over illicit relations with her. Dear brothers and sisters, this is, unfortunately, a sign of our times. It’s almost the case that this example was written for this time in history. Never before has it become so socially acceptable to engage in such actions. However, Allah SWT is merciful and Allah SWT is fair. Guard your chastity and your senses in these times and Allah SWT is the most rewarding as this test is one of the most potent of our times. Practically this is achieved through rememberance of Him, through fasting for Him and through engaging in Halal relationships as soon as practically possible to do so.
- Next is a man who gave in charity and in this Hadith it is showing the importance of giving without making a fuss or advertising it or embarrassing those who charity is given to. A great practice by which we can do this is through a monthly direct debit of an amount equalling 2% of our monthly income for example. How often do we check our bank balance to see the details of each and every transaction? Such a small amount will go unnoticed after a few months and yet will be counted for you on the day of resurrection as stated. And as we know, charity never causes poverty and so there is no excuse for not implementing this strategy today. Our very own masjid is an example of a charity that could do with a monthly donation.
- And lastly, remembering Allah SWT in places where the person knows no one will be there, and secretly between only him and Allah, can show the true intentions and away from showing off. A practical example of this is waking up fifteen minutes before the start of Fajr. Prepare for this prayer by praying 2 units of Tahajjud prayer. This is away from the family and even others in the masjid and at a time when the majority are asleep. This is also the best time to ask of Allah SWT so make it a benefit in this life and the next through this practical example.
Dear brothers and sisters, through this one hadith there are examples that each and every one of us can implement into our lives today. If the hadith states that Allah SWT will shade us on the day if we follow one of the seven then surely it also means that we will be in favour with Him insh’Allah. Therefore there can be no other more pressing thought in the minds of each and every one of us to see which one of the seven we can implement as soon as possible so that we are of the people that are referred to in this hadith.
May Allah SWT enable us to remember the 7 traits in this hadith. May Allah SWT enable us to implement the traits in this hadith and may Allah SWT reward us in our efforts in implementing the traits in this hadith.