The imam began by referencing the first two ayats of Sura Al-Fajr which is translated to say:
By the dawn and the 10 nights.
And this is the reminder for this week as it is about the first ten days of the blessed month of Dhul Hijjah.
Dear brothers, there are many blessings that are bestowed on us by Allah SWT throughout the year. And one of these is beginning this coming week with the beginning of the month of Dhul-Hijjah.
This is a blessed month in which there are many references from the Quran and Sunnah in its blessing. One of these was referenced by the imam today in Sura Hajj, ayat 28 which is translated to say:
That they may witness benefits for themselves and mention the name of Allah on known days over what He has provided for them of [sacrificial] animals. So eat of them and feed the miserable and poor.
We also know that the Prophet SAWS regarded this month as a blessing as is apparent from this hadith in which he is reported to have said:
“There are no days in this world during which worship is more beloved to Allah, Glorious is He, than the (first) ten days (of Dhul- Hijjah). Fasting one of these days is equivalent to fasting for one year, and one night of them is equal to Lailatul-Qadr.”
Dear brothers, we ought to make the most of this month and specifically over the first ten days of the month. This reminder concludes with 3 things we can do in this blessed month.
- We should aim to remember Allah SWT more so in these 10 days. Let’s try and increase our dhikr and our optional prayers so that we take full beneft from this blessed time.
- We should aim to fast optional fasts in this month, especially the day of Arafah which we will remind next week insh’Allah.
- We should aim to give takbir and glorify Allah SWT. The Prophet SAWS educated us in this by telling us:
“When you get up in the morning, charity is due from every one of your joints. There is charity in every ascription of glory to Allah; there is charity in every declaration of His Greatness; there is charity in every utterance of praise of Him; there is charity in every declaration that He is the only true God (worthy of worship); there is charity in enjoining good; there is charity in forbidding evil. Two Rak’ah of Duha (Forenoon prayer) is equal to all this (in reward)”.
- We should aim to give in charity this month. From donations to chartiable work to even a smile, it all counts insh’Allah.
- And lastly, we should be making plans for the sacrifice or Qurbani. Charities are there to assist us in this obligation so let’s make plans this week to fulfil this responsibility of ours.
Dear brothers, After the announcement this week we are slowly we are beginning to see life return to a sense of what we were used to. Let us not be complacent of this blessing. This month is a great opportunity to give thanks and show gratitude to He who is in control of everything that we are experiencing around us. We are entering a month of blessing, lets ensure we reap the maximum blessing from it through our actions.